The Ventures of MissBiz

This is a journal of my personal ventures in business, as a business student, and as a student in life. This is a blog for me, but if you'd like to follow along - you might be in for a wicked ride!

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Olympic Torchbearer 2010

Oh, and no big deal or anything, but I must’ve forgotten to mention that I’m going to be an Olympic Torchbearer for the Vancouver 2010 Olympics!!

I’m so unbelievably excited, and more than that – I’m running tomorrow! My run is in New Minas, Nova Scotia at 1:03 pm. Wolfville will be hosting events for the Torchbearers and community all morning, which makes this day even more special. I certainly don’t expect it to be the spectacle that took place for Sydney Crosby, as he ran with the Torch here in Halifax yesterday. However, it’s so satisfying to know that I’m sharing this experience with someone like Sydney Crosby, Shania Twain, and not to mention so many other inspiring Canadian leaders. My bosses, my co-workers, my boyfriend, my best friend, and my family are all coming to cheer me on - here's hoping I don't fall flat on my ass...!

On my last day at work before leaving for Europe, my boss told me to submit my name to have a chance to be an Olympic Torchbearer. Because Purolator is the official carrier of the 2010 Olympics, 10 spots were reserved for our employees nationwide. We had to write 200 words on what being a Torchbearer would mean to us. I figured since it was my last day at work for the summer, I’d sit down and make a real effort to relate being a Torchbearer to my evolving position at Purolator. I must admit, it was pretty good. But honestly, I did not think that karma would allow me to travel Europe on a 3 month sabbatical, and give me an actual opportunity to be a Torchbearer, all in one year. But when I was in Prague, sure enough my boss got a hold of me via Facebook to tell me the news. I was chosen! One very expensive fax later (they needed my signature while I was in Prague), it’s all come down to tomorrow. It’s simply an honor, that’s all I can say.

I’ll be posting pictures soon. You can view every run for the Olympics live here.

Keep Bizzy!

1 Comments:

Blogger evickt said...

You're amazing. :)

11:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home